Media made in Exeter Upgrade to paid
The Orchard Cafe Quartet plays folk and classical music from Scandinavia and Scotland.
Leigh Curtis
St Nicholas Priory is hosting a performance of folk and classical music from Scandinavia and Scotland by The Orchard Cafe Quartet on Saturday 7 March.
From Haydn to The Highlands features folk music-inspired classical pieces by Ralph Vaughan Williams, Erik Satie and Joseph Haydn alongside contemporary folk arrangements.
The Orchard Cafe Quartet, named after the venue of their first concert at the Chudleigh arts festival, was formed in 2020.
It plays music based on Nordic and Scottish folk arrangements as well as original compositions.
The Orchard Cafe Quartet
From Haydn to The Highlands starts at 7.30pm on Saturday 7 March 2026 at St Nicholas Priory. Doors open at 7pm.
Tickets cost £15. For more information and to book visit the St Nicholas Priory website.
Exeter Observer is produced by a non-profit newsroom with two staff: Leigh Curtis and Martin Redfern.
We have so far published more than 1,000 news stories, features, investigations, community and culture previews, galleries, newsletters and special reports.
We work half of the week as volunteers and keep overheads low, serving 2.5 million page views a year to 60,000 regular readers on a tiny budget.
If you think what we do is good for our city please upgrade to a paid Exeter Observer subscription from less than £2/week.
155 of the 300 paying subscribers we need to break even have signed up so far.
We can get there with your support. We hope you’ll join us today.

Exeter City Council is about to seize the helm of Exe estuary maritime life: will it steer it onto the rocks?
Charges for waterways access are set to be imposed from the quay and canal basin to the coast under proposed Harbour Revision Order powers after six years of rising costs propelled by pursuit of Port Marine Safety Code compliance. They risk driving away craft of all sizes, from kayaks to yachts, while redevelopment threatens canalside land – but it’s not too late to change course.
, updated
The government has said it will write off 90% of the SEND services deficit accumulated by DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL to the end of March this year. The Devon deficit reached £171 million last October, among the largest in the country and £62.9 million more than the limit agreed with the government as part of its “safety valve” deal, according to a county cabinet report published last month. Devon County Council leader Julian Brazil said it had since risen to around £200 million. The council welcomed the announcement, although it will have to agree to change the way it offers SEND services under as-yet unpublished government plans, adding that it would need to “work through the detail” as part of its budget-setting process. The government also has yet to explain how it will pay for £6 billion of annual SEND spending from April onwards.
EXETER SCIENCE PARK has appointed a new chief executive to take over from Sally Basker, who will retire in June this year after more than nine years in the post. Appointee Lindsay Lucas will leave her role as Head of Training and Consultancy at social enterprise Cosmic.
1,250 people have signed a petition to save Guildhall Shopping Centre children’s play space LITTLE EXETER from closure. The petition calls on Exeter City Council, which owns the shopping centre freehold and borrowed £55 million to buy back its leasehold and redevelop the building in October 2021, to “intervene, support and advocate” to preserve the play space. Former Guildhall Shopping Centre marketing manager Nikki Fairclough, who founded the non-profit play space three years ago, announced its closure in November last year. It is due to open for the last time on Saturday 21 February.
Network Rail and Great Western Railway have confirmed that the lines running from EXETER ST DAVID’S to Barnstaple and Okehampton will remain closed until further notice for safety checks following last week’s storms. Dive teams will inspect submerged structures such as bridges and viaducts to check for damage. Limited rail replacement bus services are in place.
Two ex-Reform UK Devon county councillors have joined ADVANCE UK, a far-right party launched in 2025 and led by former Reform UK deputy leader Ben Habib. Edward Hill and Angela Nash won seats as Reform UK candidates in last year’s Devon County Council elections. Two months later Edward Hill was expelled from the party then Angela Nash left in September. Advance UK counts far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon – known as Tommy Robinson – as a member.
Alison Hernandez, Police & Crime Commissioner for Devon, Cornwall and The Isles Of Scilly, says that a 2026-27 government funding shortfall has left her with “no choice” but to propose increasing the DEVON & CORNWALL POLICE council tax precept by 5.2% – the maximum permitted – equating to a £15 increase per annum for council tax band D properties across the peninsula.
Exeter local elections to go ahead in May after government cancellation U-turn
Secretary of State Steve Reed withdraws decision following legal advice in face of Reform UK High Court challenge, leaving city council leader Phil Bialyk facing electoral oblivion.
Exeter City Council leader Phil Bialyk hides behind flimsy CEO capacity claims to contrive local elections cancellation
Labour councillors plumb new depths to cling to power – and personal financial gain – as government-backed contempt for democracy enables seven of eight executive members to avoid ballots in their wards until council abolition in 2028.
Exeter Rugby Group reports £10.3 million losses as Exeter Chiefs seeks new investor
Losses include £6.2 million loan write-off associated with Sandy Park Hotel owned by club chairman Tony Rowe.
Plans for six-storey Summerland Street student block submitted for approval
Spinnaker Estates application for full planning permission for 180-bed redevelopment would increase number of student beds in immediate area to 1,754.
Devon County Council funding cuts set to reduce core library opening hours by 30%
Public consultation on changes explores possibility of closing some branches altogether despite claims to the contrary while Libraries Unlimited contract extension decision scheduled for six weeks before consultation ends.






